Incoming calls to a rented virtual number can be diverted to different directions. One of the most convenient destinations is the SIP client (softphone for VoIP calls based on the SIP protocol).
One of the advanced and free portable softphones is MicroSIP for Windows. A modest and functional interface will allow you not to get confused in the settings, easily set up a softphone using the SIP account data, and successfully receive incoming calls, because for this you need not as high-speed as a stable Internet connection.
It is also possible to make outgoing calls.
In order to configure MicroSIP to receive calls, as well as to make them, you need to do the following:
1. In your personal account, purchase a voice virtual number of the country you are interested in, and then request for a SIP account in the “SIP SETTINGS” block
After that, in this block, after a while, the data of the SIP account will appear. Using this SIP account data, it is possible to log in to various SIP phones (softphones).
2. Download and install the latest version of MicroSIP by following the link.
3. Run the program and open the menu (down arrow button).
4. Select “Add Account…” from the menu.
5. In the “Account” window that opens, fill in the required fields with data from your personal account (“SIP SETTINGS” block):
- Account Name – can be anything
- SIP Server = host
- Username, Login = username
- Domain = host
- Password = secret
- everything else can be left as default
Make sure there are no extra characters or spaces in the data you enter.
Click the “Save” button.
6. This completes authorization in MicroSIP. How to make sure that everything was done correctly and the program is ready to work? In the lower left corner there will be a green status “Online” – this means that the softphone is configured correctly and connected to the server.
If for some reason the status is different, try the following:
– make sure your internet connection is stable;
– mobile internet providers can block the sip.telecomax.net host. If you are using mobile internet, try connecting to a Wi-Fi network;
– add sip.telecomax.net to the exceptions in your Wi-Fi router settings.
Setting up call forwarding in your Personal Account
To start receiving calls in the MicroSIP softphone, you need to set up the forwarding of incoming calls from your virtual number to SIP correctly. To do this, go to the number settings in your personal account.
If you are using a SIP account from our company:
in the phone number settings, in the forwarding input field, enter the forwarding in the following format: “SIP/username@username”.
In the block “SIP SETTINGS” you can find the value “username”. This data will be available only after receiving a SIP account.
If you are using another SIP provider:
in the forwarding entry field, enter the forwarding in the following format: “SIP/[email protected]” or “SIP/ID@IP” (if forwarding to an IP address is needed). You can check with your SIP provider for ID and IP details.
In the forwarding settings, you can set simultaneous or sequential forwarding to several directions.
Simultaneous call forwarding will allow you to send a call to two directions at the same time (SIP client/phone number / Telegram).
Sequential forwarding allows you to set a timeout for answering in the first direction, after which the call automatically goes to the second.
Please, note! Authorization with the same SIP account is not possible on several devices at the same time. If you decide to log in to the softphone on a new device with the same data, then authorization on the previous device will become inactive.
Outgoing calls can also be made using MicroSIP. It is possible to make such calls from an active SIP account, but this feature is not activated by default and is connected separately as an additional service upon request by email.
1. Outgoing calls are paid, the cost is not included in the virtual number rental fee. Calls are billed per second (without specifying the leased number) or per minute (with specifying the leased number).
2. Outgoing calls is an additional service that is not technically tied to the rented number, is not activated by default and is connected upon request by email.
3. The service of substituting a rented number as a Caller ID is possible and guaranteed only within the country where the virtual number belongs.
Have a nice chat.
Still have questions about setting up MicroSIP?
Write to us, our managers will contact you as soon as possible.